(Coinciding with Trump’s first 100 days in Office — a period of time historically used as a benchmark to measure the potential of a new president — PRA will share readings, videos, and tools for organizing to inform our collective resistance based on principles for engaging the regime, defending human rights, and preventing authoritarianism. Daily readings will be posted on our Facebook and Twitter accounts and archived HERE.)
Week 9: LGBTQ Rights
Opposition to LGBTQ equality has long been both a fundamental value and useful political tool for many American conservative organizations, especially those associated with the Christian Right. Even as visibility and mainstream acceptance of LGBTQ people grows, homophobia and transphobia continue to serve as key ingredients in the Christian Right’s ongoing “pro-family” campaign, which enforces a Biblically mandated heterosexuality, champions gender essentialism or “complementarity,” and prioritizes procreation.
- A Dystrumpian Vision for LGBTQ People by Frederick Clarkson and Scot Nakagawa
- The Christian Right on the Gender Frontier: The Growing Anti-Trans Offensive by Cole Parke
- The Christian Right’s Love Affair with Anti-Trans Feminists By Cole Parke
- Resisting the Rainbow: Right-Wing Responses to LGBT Gains edited by Pam Chamberlain
- See our LGBTQ Rights Portal Page!
Engage: Schools in Transition
A guide for parents, students, educators, administrators and other stakeholders are working together to determine the best ways to support transgender students. This guide highlights best practices while offering strategies for building upon and aligning them with each school’s culture. Check out the guide HERE.